There are so many fun ways to get into the Halloween spirit but I know for many, we think of Halloween as candy time. It can definitely be a time of temptation and overindulgence but it doesn't have to be only about food. You can still enjoy Halloween, have fun, treat yourself and avoid the guilt and anxiety. Here are a few tips to having a healthy and happy Halloween:
- Get moving - Make Halloween a fun activity by getting some exercise. Take a walk to show off your costume to your neighbors if there's no trick or treating. Or do the fun Halloween Survival workout below.
- Fill Up First - Have a healthy meal before trick or treating or heading out to a Halloween event. Being full from eating a healthy meal will reduce the temptation to overindulge.
- Play Games - Hosting a small party? Add in some physical activity with games such as a 3-legged monster race, zombie dance party or pumpkin toss.
- Get Creative - Dress up healthy snacks in Halloween themes to make them festive but nutritious.
- Avoid Temptation - Staying at home to pass out candy? Buy candy you don't like so you won't even be tempted.
- Stay Hydrated - Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated will help you control your cravings.
- Enjoy Yourself - Don't beat yourself up or allow yourself to feel guilty for overindulging. It's only one night and you can get right back to your healthy lifestyle tomorrow.