Summer is in full swing, which means hot weather and sunshine! The humidity and heat can make it hard to motivate and stay on track with your fitness goals. But the benefits of exercise – increased energy, improved immune system, better health are year round, so don’t let the heat ruin your active lifestyle. Beat the heat with these 5 tips:
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! – Make sure you’re drinking plenty of water all day long, not just before or after your workout. You need to replenish the water you lose through sweat, and with the heat of the summer, its suggested to drink more than the recommended 8-10 glasses of water. Drink every 15 min or so on hot days to remain hydrated.
- Go early or late – avoid working out in the heat of the day, which is typically between 10am and 6pm. Exercise before or after these times to keep the stress of the heat on your body low.
- Choose appropriate clothing – Lightweight clothing promotes ventilation. Many brands use fabrics that wick away moisture to keep you cool. Dark colors absorb heat, so think about picking light colors
- Wear Sunscreen – Although it won’t keep you cool initially, sunscreen will keep you from burning, which decreases your body’s ability to cool itself. And of course it helps you avoid skin cancer. Protect your skin from the sun so you can enjoy more time outdoors. Use SPF30 and reapply often.
- Listen to your body – hot weather can decrease your energy levels. You may need to modify your workout and intensity. Be aware of headaches, dizziness, blurred vision and nausea. These are signs of heat exhaustion and if this happens, you need to stop your workout immediately, rest, hydrate and cool down.
The summer is a great time to enjoy the outdoors and being active. Just keep in mind that the humidity and heat can affect your body and workout. Pay attention to your body and how you feel. But don’t let the hot temperatures and sunshine keep you from being active and achieving your fitness goals.