I love Halloween. It’s so fun to see everyone get all dressed up and have fun with the holiday. I love seeing how creative people get with their costumes and their homes! There are so many fun ways to get into the Halloween spirit but I know for many, we think of Halloween as candy time. It can definitely be a time of temptation and overindulgence but it doesn’t have to be only about food. You can still enjoy Halloween, have fun, treat yourself and avoid the guilt and anxiety. Here are a few tips to having a healthy and happy Halloween:
- Get moving – Make Halloween a fun activity by getting some exercise. Instead of driving to each house, walk to each house. Or do a pumpkin inspired workout like the one below!
- Fill Up First – Have a healthy meal before trick or treating or heading out to a Halloween Party. Being full from eating a healthy meal will reduce the temptation to overindulge.
- Play Games – Hosting a party? Add in some physical activity with games such as a 3-legged monster race, zombie dance party or pumpkin toss.
- Get Creative – Dress up healthy snacks in Halloween themes to make them festive but nutritious. Get inspired with ideas here
- Avoid Temptation – Staying at home to pass out candy? Buy candy you don’t like so you won’t even be tempted.
- Stay Hydrated – Drink lots of water. Staying hydrated will help you control your cravings.
- Enjoy Yourself – Don’t beat yourself up and allow yourself to feel guilty for overindulging. It’s only one night and you can get right back to your healthy lifestyle tomorrow.