I don’t know about you, but I always like to hear what my friends do to live healthy, active lives. Sarah is a friend of mine from college. She has an amazing job and career. However, for her that also means heavy travel and sometimes long hours. I asked her to fill me in on what she does to stay healthy and active.
1. Morning Workouts are a must: I always try and wake up in the morning to workout. I hate life at 5am when the alarm goes off, but working out in the morning means I can complete the rest of my day without worrying. If I don’t, work always runs late, my couch is calling my name when I get home, someone wants to go to dinner – I can find every excuse in the book to not work out. Plus, I can gauge what I eat based on if I worked out or not and adjust accordingly.
2. Visualize: It’s definitely hard to stay motivated and focused. But I want to like putting on cute clothes and feel good – that is what drives me.
3. Always Be Prepared: I have snacks everywhere – in my laptop bag, my purse, my car. I can’t think properly when I’m hungry – so even having the extra calories of a snack will help me from making a bad decision later. Note: Order oatmeal from Starbucks as a healthy breakfast options and then save the packs of dried berries and nuts in your purse for when you need a munchie!
4. Keep eating enjoyable: I do “swaps”. I love French fries. I can’t help it. So I get a turkey burger and don’t eat the bun. I don’t eat all the fries on my plate, but I feel better that I’ve made a swap versus eating both delicious options.
5. Every bit counts: In the office, I always take the stairs to my floor and get up and walk to talk to my co-workers – it makes a difference.
6. A long and healthy life: I look at older generations who may not have had the information and education we currently do about our health and exercise. I do not want to grow old painfully and sickly – I want to take care of my body so it takes care of me for a long time.
“I work so hard at my career – why wouldn’t I work as hard at my health and fitness? The whole package is a 360 degree approach – my body has to be held to the same standards I hold my mind” – I think that pretty much sums it up! We give our all to so many things, why wouldn’t you do the same for your health?