The holiday season is always a busy time for everyone! It’s easy to let your health and fitness goals take a back seat. I’m usually an all or nothing person. If I don’t have time for the full workout I was planning, then I start to think what’s the point. Or if I can’t do the workout the way I wanted to because I don’t have the right equipment, I start to think about pushing it off until the next day when I can make it to the gym.
During these extra busy times, I have to remember there are ways to sneak in fitness. Maybe it’s not perfect or not crazy intense, but I know I’ll feel good for getting some kind of activity in. And I can stop being so hard on myself and feeling guilty knowing I’m doing my best to get something in and I can refocus on my goals when things get less busy.
Here are a few ways to sneak in fitness when life is crazy:
1. Have a dance party – I love putting on my tunes and dancing around the house. It’s a great mood booster and definitely gets my heart pumping. Or grab some girlfriends and hit a dance floor together!
2. Split it up – You might not be able to find a full hour for a workout, but you could find shorter segments of time throughout your day. Go for a 10 minute walk a few times a day and get some fresh air. Break up your workout and do half in the morning and half in the evening, or over lunch.
3. Do HIIT Workouts – These high intensity interval training workouts are short and sweet. They are sure to get your heart pumping and sweat, but they take anywhere from 10 -25 min.
4. Get a workout partner – Make activity dates in place of coffee dates. Instead of catching up with friends over a cup of coffee, you could go for a walk together. You could also start a Fitbit competition. Set the parameters and goals. Make it fun and more interesting by putting money on the line or having the loser treat the winner to something like a mani/pedi together.
5. Get in touch with your inner child – If it’s snowy, you could go sledding with friends or your kids. Climbing up the hill over and over again is a great workout. Or go to one of those trampoline places. Jumping around is fun and sure to get your blood pumping.
The point is to have fun and not get down on yourself. Life gets super busy at times and you just have to go with it. It’s important to find ways to not completely give up on things that are important for you, but also fit them in when it feels like you can’t.